Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Fighting Sin with a Knowledge of God's Sovereignty

I wrote yesterday about the connection between our sin and a lack of the knowledge of God. Many sins in our lives are connected to what we don't understand, or misunderstand about the character and nature of God. Particularly significant to this discussion are sins that are related to a lack of trusting God. To help us all see how truly trustworth God is I begin today with the doctrine of God's sovereignty.

Slowly we all have to come to realize that no matter how much we feel in control we really are not. No matter how many things we align, no matter how well we plan, and scheme, and organize, we can never be in control. But the good news for believers is that God is working all things out, and for the good of His children (Romans 8:28). God is in control of all things, nothing is left out of His reach, no event, action, or illness is to far for His long arms to control them. The Bible itself affirms God’s sovereign control despite our not being able to understand all of its out-workings (Psalm 115:3, 135; Proverbs 16:9, 21:1; Ephesians 1:11; Romans 13:1; Acts 4:27-28). Here are a few examples.

Joseph was sold into slavery:
And now do not be distressed or angry with yourselves because you sold me here, for God sent me before you to preserve life. (Gen. 45:5)

So it was not you who sent me here, but God. He has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house and ruler over all the land of Egypt. (Gen. 45:8)

As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. (Gen. 50: 20)

The Exodus:
And the Lord said to Moses, “When you go back to Egypt, see that you do before Pharaoh all the miracles that I have put in your power. But I will harden his heart, so that he will not let the people go.” (Ex. 4:21)

But I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and though I multiply my signs and wonders in the land of Egypt, Pharaoh will not listen to you. Then I will lay my hand on Egypt and bring my hosts, my people the children of Israel, out of Egypt by great acts of judgment. (Ex. 7:3-4)

For the scripture says to Pharaoh, ‘I have raised you up for he very purpose of showing my power in you, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.’ (Rom. 9:17).

He turned their hearts to hate his people. (Psalm 105:25)

The Crucifixion:
For truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever you hand and your plan had predestined to take place. (Acts 4:27)

This Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. (Acts 2:23)

Take comfrot, friends, in knowing that nothing either suprises or is out of God's pre-determined plan for the course of this world. He is sovereign and because of His omnipotence and control there is nothing that He cannot do, trust Him because He is able!

God “does according to His will among the hosts of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth; and none can stay His hand or say to Him, ‘What have you done?’” (Daniel 4:35).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home