Saturday, January 21, 2006

Controversy over "End of the Spear"

I have hesitated to comment on the issue of Chad Allen's portrayal of Nate and Steve Saint in the upcoming film "End of the Spear", largely due to the fact that I don't know what to make of it. When I heard the news last week I was deeply saddened and disappointed with Every Tribe Entertainment. There are many things that should be considered as some prepare to see and have seen this film. I point you to the Justin Taylor's blog "Between Two Worlds" and Al Mohler's commentary. Both deal very well with the subject and ask good questions.

I intend to see the film and to review it. I beleive that if it is possible to separate the message from the messanger in this film then we may be able to still find value in the film. The blatant disregard of Ever Tribe Entertainment in casting Allen (a homosexual activist) is, nonetheless, annoying. Their foolishness alone may be worth not supporting the film. Tom Ascol's blog (www.founders.org) reviews the movie and finds it rather poorly done. In all honesty there seems to be many reasons to not see this film! Yet the story itself draws me. Anyone familiar with the story of Nate Saint and his four missionary friends will find it hard to stay away from this film. I hope that all the negative critics are wrong, I hope that this film is terrific, I hope that it leads to many discussions about the truth of the gospel's impact on the lives of the Waodini tribe, and that from this production a relationship between Chad Allen and the Christians on this film project will result in evangelism. I guess all I can say is pray about it and make a personal decision for you and your family, and I'll let you know what I think in a day or two.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,
I hope you do enjoy it. You already know that I did not. But, oh yes may the God who upholds all things by the word of His power use the distorted film for good!!
I have perused your blog and find it very well done. Keep up the good work bro. it is very encouraging.
Katie and I loved hangin with you guys and Mike and Robyn last night. We shall have to do it again soon.

Exploding in Christ!
David K

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home