Monday, August 27, 2007

What a Mighty God We Serve, Again and Again

I am often a critical man, and this can sometimes lead to my own humiliation. I am particularly critical of music in worship services, because so many churches do it poorly. I find that those worship songs that repeat the same words over and over again and again are often shallow and mind-numbing. It was this Sunday, however, that I experienced one of those humbling moments from my own critical nature.

During a church service recently I joined a congregation in singing one these dreaded "repeat" songs. "What a mighty God we serve, What a mighty God we serve," I sang with the people. "Angels bow before Him, Heaven and earth adore Him. What a mighty God we serve." It was true and I could appreciate its simplicity and straight forwardness. Now verse 2:

"What a mighty God we serve, What a mighty God we serve. Angels bow before Him, heaven and earth adore Him. What a mighty God we serve."

By this point I am beginning to realize that we are going to be singing the same words, for the third verse too. It didn't take long before my critical nature set in and I began to criticize the selection, the song, and even the congregation. How shallow and simplistic. And then with a sharp jab the Lord brought to my mind just how sinful my behavior was. Here was a group of people who were worshipping the Lord, and the smiles on the faces around me evidenced an investment in the singing that is missing in most churches. Here was a congregation that was joyfully worshipping the Lord and I was criticizing them for it!

And as I stopped being critical and joined the congregation again in worship I found myself too joining in the glorification of our Lord through this perhaps silly song. It was a humbling moment and one I will not soon forget! In the midst of my own criticalness God changed my heart! How amazing! "What a mighty God we Serve!"

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Hey Dave, you might be interested in reading Bob Kauflin's latest blog post on this very topic: http://www.worshipmatters.com/2007/08/qa-fridays-is-repetition-a-help-or-a-hindrance/

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home