Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Things I Don't Know

Of course with a title like this I could write for hours, or perhaps there is just so much that I don't know that I should change the title. I'll leave the title and assume that you know I am more ignorant than a few paragraphs in a blog entry. Thanks for understanding.

There are many things I don't know. Some are just curiosities, like is Valentine's Day a bigger deal in Valentine South Dakota than in the rest of the country? Other things are worries and exasperations, like why on earth did I take a 7 a.m. class this semester? But there are many things I don't know that are of genuine importance: theological issues, practical applications of Biblical mandates, marital difficulties, etc. At the top of my list this morning is child rearing! How on earth does a 24 year old man raise a child?

Krista continues to progress wonderfully with the pregnancy, and we are so thankful to the Lord for the gift of life that He has given us in a new child. We prayed for a long time, with many friends and family members, that God would grant us a child, and in His timing He answerd our request. What joy this has brought to us, and yet what new challenges await us. Becoming a father is such an exciting thing. I can recall the affection and admiration that I have always had for my father, and remember the time spent with him as a boy...and I pause..."soon someone will, hopefully, have those same thoughts and feelings and delights in me!" "How did my father do it?" I wonder, "How did he learn to be a father?" It is the very question I am currently wrestling with. But I know that just as God answered our prayers for a child so He will answer my prayer, "Lord, How do I raise a child in the fear and admonition of the Lord." Thankfully His word gives direction, and His people have counsel to give. But what a delight it is to know that I have two wonderful examples to learn from: 1) My Father, who raised two boys and a girl to love the Lord and serve Him, and 2) My Heavenly Father, who gives every good and perfect gift, discplines me for the sake of godliness, and sacrificed His beloved Son, Jesus, that I may have eternal life. What better tools than all these can I have for learning to be a godly father?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home