Saturday, December 10, 2005

Aslan- The One True King of Narnia

Last night, for our date night, Krista and I saw the premier of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. When Lewis, the author of the book, was asked about the production of a movie based on the work he stated that he did not want a film representation of the book. Partly, I am sure, because he didn't think anyone could properly portray it...in part I must agree with him. Even in this day of stellar computer graphics the books paint a more beautiful picture of Aslan, Narnia, and victory than does this new movie. Nonetheless this is an astounding film!

I can honestly say that I was blown away by the emotion, the quality, and the consistency to the book that was contained in this film. Few movies are ever going to parallel the original work of an author as well as this one has. It's not perfect to be sure, and the books, by far, exceed the film, but it is an amazing reflection of exatcly what I believe Lewis wanted to convey in the book.

The Character of Aslan in particular continues to grab attention. The movie does a terrific job of portraying the Lion King just as Lewis has done within the work. His giant stature, emotional outflow, and terrible roar are remarkable. It is, however, the thickness of the Christian allegory still kept in the film that I loved. Repeatedly during my viewing I was compelled to think of the truth behind the fiction.

Aslan, as a the Christ-figure of the work, is an amazing character. One thing for certain that Christians can take away from the Chronicles of Narnia is a fresh reminder that Jesus Christ is not a wimpy Savior. Far to often with think of Jesus as this helpless victim, but Lewis knew better. He portrays Christ in Aslan as the Awe-inspiring Lion who lays down His life for the Sheep. Jesus spoke those amazing words in John 10, "For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one has taken it from Me, but I lay it down on my own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I recieved from my Father" (John 10:17-18, NASB). This is the victorious Jesus of the Bible and this is the wonderful reflection painted in the astounding figure of Aslan, which even this film gets right.

Go see Narnia and think upon the victory of Christ in the Cross as you do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home