Sunday, December 18, 2005

Christmas Hyman, Part 1

This year I have discovered that many Christmas hymns turn out to be somewhat disapointing. There are some that while they are treasured, traditional songs for the holiday they are somewhat shallow, ambigious, and even pointless. In light of such a revelation I have decided to post, this week, a number of theologically sound Christmas hymns that my young family will certainly be singing for years to come.

Today's Hymn: Awake, My Soul, Awake, My Tongue- Benjamin Keach (1696)

Awake, my soul, awake, my tongue, My glory, wake and sing,
And celebrate the holy birth, the birth of Israel's King!

O happy night that brought forth light, Which makes the blind to see;
The dayspring from on high came down To cheer and visit thee.

The careful shepherds with their flocks Were watching for the morn,
But better news from heav'n was brought: Your Savior is now born!

In Bethlehem the Infant lies Within a place obscure,
Your Savior's come, O sing God's praise! O sing His praise for e'er.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home